John Dickinson <j...@sinodun.com> wrote:

> We have just submitted a -02 update to the 5966bis draft.

I have read through this draft. It looks in good shape to me.

A general comment: can you please grep for lower-case RFC 2119 keywords
and either upper-case them or replace them with different phrasing, so
there is no doubt about whether something is a misspelled requirement or
really a suggestion. (e.g. "ought" instead of "should", "can" instead of
"may".) Section 6.2.1.1 especially.

Is there anything to say about pMTUd on UDP vs TCP?

Section 6.2.2 ought to allow for concurrent zone transfers, since that is
necessary for primary/secondary setups with many busy zones.

Section 6.2.3 "a few seconds" still seems generous, though I suppose it's
hard for a server to tune the timeout to something based on the client's
RTT...

Section 6.2.4 is it worth saying that a client can retry over UDP if it
has not previously received a TC reply to this query?

Section 11:

Wider use of TCP doesn't make servers more vulnerable to DoS attacks, but
rather it increases the likelyhood of accidental DoS due to server
overload.

I think discussing the wider use of TCP just makes it more blatantly
obvious how vulnerable existing servers are to TCP resource exhaustion.
Fixing TCP scalability will make them more resistant to DoS attacks.

Appendix A:

Is this supposed to be just a summary of points made earlier? There are
some points here about TFO and MPTCP which aren't in the main body.

Some editorial nits:

RRL is mentioned twice mentioned twice in the first para.

I suggest changing this paragraph in the intro

   This document therefore updates the core DNS protocol specifications
   such that support for TCP is henceforth a REQUIRED part of a full DNS
   protocol implementation.

   The previous version of this document [RFC5966] updated the core DNS
   protocol specifications such that support for TCP became a REQUIRED
   part of a full DNS protocol implementation.

IF TCP -> If TCP
fastopen -> Fast Open
TFO.From -> TFO.  From

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Forties, Cromarty, Forth: South becoming cyclonic 4 or 5, then mainly north 5