On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 03:53:22PM +0000, Alain Durand wrote:

> - RFC6761 does not say anything wrt to coordination between IETF and ICANN
> on this topic.

Or with regard to co-ordination between anyone else and the IETF.
This is part of why I say the IETF retains the ability to take some
names out of the DNS protocol or otherwise to alter the DNS namespace.
I attempted to make some distinctions about this a few weeks ago, and
Steve Crocker has posted some other distinctions (some of which are,
as near as I can tell, just administrative matters for one policy
authority for a DNS zone).  Ed Lewis told me he didn't understand the
distinctions I was trying to make.  I'm not sure whether they're helpful.

> - RFC6761 talks about names, not TLDs. i.e. It could be use to reserve a
> name under any existing TLD.

Yes, and in fact that happens.  Example, for instance, is reserved
underneath com, net, and org.

> - RFC6761 does not say much about how to evaluate the merits of proposals.

I don't think that's true at all.  It has the various criteria.  If
you can't explain how you meet the various criteria, then there's a
problem.  I think onion does, and others seem to too, so it's
proceeded accordingly.  The real blocker for onion for well over a
year was its link to other names where the argument for special
treatment was harder.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
a...@anvilwalrusden.com