Hi,

This is a good time to remind ourselves of how we got here.

This draft came into the WG as an individual submission, with the authors
seeking comment but not asking for it to be a WG work item. We eventually
adopted it in the expectation that handling it as a WG draft would lead to
higher quality review and higher credibility for the resulting document. There
has seemed consistently to be very strong support that this document is needed.

The chairs were in full understanding of the editors' views on the purpose of
the document, and thought the WG was too: the intention was to get a good
reference out in the field where people who aren’t necessarily as sophisticated
as DNSOP regulars can use it, and then tackle the more difficult issues— where
definitions aren’t fully consistent within the standard, or implementers and
operators have diverged from the standard, or the standard is silent on some
important aspect of the protocol.

At this stage, I don’t think it’s a good use of the WG’s time to revisit the
basis for adopting the draft. Nor do I think we’re going to resolve all
possible contentions, no matter how much more time or how many more review
cycles we insist on. Some will be noted as part of this document; some will be
removed to wait for the next one.

Not speaking for the editors, it does seem to me that it would be helpful for
reviews to separate critiques of the form “I don’t think this accurately
captures the definition of this term in existing documents” or “I think
documentation and implementation/practice have diverged” from critiques of the
form “I don’t like this definition or this aspect of the protocol.”

We have been through extensive review and a Working Group Last Call on this
draft. The next revision should go ahead to the IESG.

best,
Suzanne