On 06Jul15, internet-dra...@ietf.org allegedly wrote:

> directories.
>  This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group
> of the IETF.
>
>         Title           : Client Subnet in DNS Queries
>         Authors         : Carlo Contavalli
>                           Wilmer van der Gaast
>                           David C Lawrence
>                           Warren Kumari
>       Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-client-subnet-02.txt
>       Pages           : 27
>       Date            : 2015-07-06

I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that there was a plan to
rewrite this spec in light of actually implementation experiences. Is
this draft that rewrite? I ask as this seems to be more a clean-up of
the original draft.

If it is the former then one issue I raised with the previous draft
remains undiscussed and unchanged. That being the notion of
caches/resolvers using white lists to constrain which servers should
be sent the ECS option.

We all know a white-list doesn't scale for an internet protocol and my
limited experience of hunting down owners, exchanging emails and
agreeing on a white list format is pretty broken and brittle.

I would think that if we're to proceed with this protocol then the
white list requirement should be removed from the spec.

Mark.