>> I believe that the registry we have currently defined doesn't do a great job
>> of capturing the actual needs here.

Agreed.  It seems to me that there are two somewhat separate things going on
here.

One is the .ONION issue.  It's a domain name string that has a
coordinated use that is implemented outside the RFC 1034/1035 DNS.

The other is the .BELKIN and .CORP issue.  They're domain name strings
that have no coordinated use, but there's enough uncoordinated use
that there'd be a stability risk if a live TLD started answering
queries.

In both cases, one question is when we reserve the name, and the other equally
important question is when we un-reserve the name.

For all three, I think there's adequate evidence to reserve them now.
The un-reserve criteria is different, and I expect would be different
for any other name we reserved.  For .onion, it's not out of the
question that five or ten years from now we check in with the ToR
project and they say oh, the whole reserved name thing was such a hassle
that we switched to onion:// names and we don't use domain names at all.

For .BELKIN, the problem was a lot of home routers shipped a decade
ago.  Eventually most of them will die and the problem will go away.
Or if the Belkin company wanted a vanity domain, they presumably know
what the routers did and could come up with a TLD that avoided sending
unfortunate responses to the old queries.

For .CORP, I gather the main usage was for intranet TLS certificates,
but the public CAs have stopped signing them so they will probably
mostly go away, too.

The point of these examples is not that we need to solve any of those
issues now, but that a useful reserved name registry needs to deal with
the reality that most reservations need not be forever.

R's,
John