On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 08:45:08AM -0700, Paul Vixie wrote:
> section. "added" really does just mean "added" not "inserted".

I don't know what that means.  If you add something to an unordered
set and then ask for the contents of the set, the order you'll get its
contents is undefined.  Indeed, people used to make this mistake with
RRsets.  I remember a particular registrar when we were bringing up
.info trying very hard to get "ns1" to appear "first".  They'd delete
a host object and reinsert it, check the DNS, and it worked.  Then
they'd check again, and the order changed!  So they'd do the same
dance.

The question, for the purposes of the protocol definition, is whether
a message section (or maybe just the answer section) is an ordered set
of unordered RRsets.  If so, we probably ought to write that down
somewhere, and specify the order, because as near as I can see it
never has been specified.

I'm not suggesting we try to invalidate lots of deployed software.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
a...@anvilwalrusden.com