On 9/18/15, 9:54, "Alec Muffett" <al...@fb.com> wrote:

> I feel this may need clarification in your section on Tor addressing.  Perhaps
> it's not **really** domain-naming, but it **looks** much more like it.

The first point of the document is to allow us to answer that "perhaps" -
without a definition of Domain Names, we don't know.  The question includes
- are "Domain Names" just things that look like something  or are they
things that have a lot of baggage (such as means of assignment [which is
different between DNS and distributed hash tables]).

I'm not disagreeing, just underlining that until the definition is in place,
it's hard for me to be in complete agreement.

> Also, there is some information which requires correction:
>
> According to an email message, ".onion" names may (in the future)
> exceed the length limits of a label imposed on DNS domain names,
> reaching 64, 80, or more bytes. [DNSOP1]
>
> Per this e-mail:
>
> https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg94362.html
>
> ...from Nick Mathewson at Tor, he says:
> So it's IMO fine to say ".onion addresses are case-insensitive and
> will comply with existing DNS limitations for label lengths (63) and
> maximum fqdn lengths (253ish)".
> Which contradicts draft-lewis-domain-names-00

So - and not to be pointed - but in your email I reference, should I ignore
that for the sake of this document?  I mean what the message says seems to
contradict what you are quoting from Mathewson - which is fine - but this is
something unclear to me.

(I wasn't aware of Mathweson's message, I'm not subscribed to that list.)

> Also, my name's not "Alex" :-)
>
>     - alec

I got 75% of the name right. ;)  Sorry about that - I don't read all the
letters on a page.