From: Joe Abley
Date: 2015-09-29 23:00
To: yaojk
CC: dnsop
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] New Version Notification for
draft-yao-dnsop-root-cache-00.txt
>Hi Jiankang,

>What reason do you have to think that response latency from root servers
>has any measurable impact on end-user experience?

I think that there are some papers which explain it.
One observation:
due to the complexity of the network environment, the current quality of access
to root service is uneven globally.  For example, CNNIC finds through
comprehensive monitoring and analysis that in China the time delay of access to
the 13 root servers varies greatly from province to province, showing a
difference of up to 200ms for most root servers, and in a number of provinces
nearly 60% queries fail to hit the root mirrors deployed in China.

BTW,
this draft is trying to solve the same problem speicified in
draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback.
I think that the authors of draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback  will have a better
explaination than me.

>Queries to root servers from individual clients are sent very
>infrequently, in my experience; the TTLs are not short. The probability
>that any client of a real-world resolver gets a delayed response because
>of latency between the resolver and a root server seems vanishingly
>small.

We use the root data's feature of "the TTLs are not short, the data is not
likely to be changed" to initiate our design.

This design in the draft will reduce the load to the root server. Most traffic
that might lead to the root server will be lead to the root data cache.

Best Regards
Jiankang Yao