This butchering of RFC 2317 is in response to a couple of things:

Firstly, Petr Spacek's important observation that some reverse DNS UPDATE
agents are not compatible with RFC 2317. There was some discussion about
whether Petr's draft imposed the wrong requirements on too many UPDATE
clients, especially ones not involved in the reverse DNS. My draft
includes a different take on this fix, which errs on the side of being too
specific. Also I'm not sure if it belongs in this document.

Secondly, I deployed a second consolidated reverse DNS zone last month,
which uses DNAME for classless IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation on a short prefix.
Our first one was deployed by Chris Thompson in 2009 and you can find it
at 128.232.128.0/17 and in-addr.arpa.cam.ac.uk. Our second one is for
10.128.0.0/9 so you can't see it outside our network, but you can see some
notes at
https://jackdaw.cam.ac.uk/ipreg/nsconfig/consolidated-reverse-zones.html

I think this DNAME technique ought to be documented, and that RFC 2317
has some shortcomings, so I respectfully submit this update for your
review.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Viking, North Utsire: Easterly 4 or 5, increasing 6 at times. Slight or