Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@vpnc.org> wrote:
> On 22 Dec 2015, at 19:58, Paul Vixie wrote:
> > On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 11:00:22 AM Tony Finch wrote:
> > >
> > > So another way of phrasing my previous message is that DNS-over-HTTP ought
> > > to be "just" a mapping from DNS messages to HTTP messages.
> >
> > i agree. the only specification matter is the transform between
> > message formats. there's no reason to talk about transport at all.
>
> -1. The IETF has a decade-old rule that you cannot just say "send stuff over
> HTTP" without considering the HTTP-specific semantics.

Isn't that what mapping from DNS messages to HTTP messages means? I
completely agree that the spec must to consider the HTTP-specific
semantics and Paul's comments about cache-friendliness [1] imply the same,
so I think you are disagreeing with something we didn't intend to say.

[1] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/current/msg16330.html

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Northwest Faeroes, Southeast Iceland: Westerly 7 to severe gale 9, becoming