On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 11:12 PM, Shumon Huque <shu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 4:55 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzme...@nic.fr>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Dec 05, 2015 at 05:07:13PM -0500,
>>  Tim Wicinski <tjw.i...@gmail.com> wrote
>>  a message of 23 lines which said:
>>
>> > This starts a Call for Adoption for draft-bortzmeyer-dnsop-nxdomain-cut
>>
>> Funny, unlike what I wrote in the draft, there is at least a recursor
>> with a partial support of NXDOMAIN cut (off by default):
>>
>> https://doc.powerdns.com/md/recursor/settings/#root-nx-trust
>>
>> root-nx-trust
>>
>> Boolean
>> Default: no
>> Available since: 3.7.0
>> If set, an NXDOMAIN from the root-servers will serve as a blanket
>> NXDOMAIN for the entire TLD the query belonged to. The effect of this
>> is far fewer queries to the root-servers.

I also recently discovered that Unbound also supports this (and more
generally, not just for the root, but only for signed NXDOMAIN responses),
via the configuration parameter "harden-below-nxdomain".

from https://www.unbound.net/documentation/unbound.conf.html

       harden-below-nxdomain: <yes or no>
              From draft-vixie-dnsext-resimprove, returns nxdomain to
 queries
              for  a name below another name that is already known to be
nxdo-
              main.  DNSSEC mandates noerror  for  empty  nonterminals,
 hence
              this  is  possible.  Very old software might return nxdomain
for
              empty nonterminals (that usually happen for reverse  IP
 address
              lookups),  and  thus  may  be incompatible with this.  To try
              avoid this only DNSSEC-secure nxdomains are  used,  because
 the
              old software does not have DNSSEC.  Default is off.

The signed negative response requirement probably indirectly addresses
CDN/ENT misbehavior among others. Wonder if anyone uses this knob in
production yet, and if there are experiences to report ..

--
Shumon Huque