Greetings again. While doing some testing, I came across something that is both consistent across implementations but that I do not find in RFC 4033, 4034, or 4035. If a query for a properly-signed zone is sent to BIND-as-recursor, Unbound, or Google DNS, and the AD bit in the request is set to 1, the answer returned has the AD bit set to 1. However, if the query has the AD bit set to 0, the response always has the AD bit set to 0, even though the requested zone is properly signed.

This happens regardless of whether or not there is an EDNS0 extension with the DO bit set to 1.

I can't find anywhere in 403[3:5] that says that the AD bit in the request means anything. Did I miss that? Or is it specified in a different RFC?

--Paul Hoffman