On 2/29/16, 9:12, "DNSOP on behalf of Shane Kerr" <dnsop-boun...@ietf.org
on behalf of sh...@time-travellers.org> wrote:

>Interesting concern, although I don't see how it can be otherwise. We
>don't know what the properties of future protocols will be, so I don't
>know how we can specify the behavior of resolvers using such protocols
>would be.

I don't think I was clear - this is only about the DNS protocol.  This
document proposes that the DNS protocol behave differently depending on
the data being carried (QNAME) in it's own messages.

(I.e., the rule could be stated: if the QNAME is a single label, then if
the QTYPE is NSEC the NSEC can be used to assemble other NXDOMAIN
is DNSSEC signed with NSEC], which might not be true for all root zones.)

This isn't about processing different values differently, this is about
changing the behavior of the protocol based on environmental factors.