> negative caching is like response rate limiting: we can't operate the
> network at current or projected scale without them. the incorrectness
> (specifically: the incoherence) we allow due to caching (of both
> positive and negative elements) was a trade-off for scale. if you want a
> different trade-off, please propose one, being aware that i'll be
> reviewing its scaling properties.

I agree.   I was simply pointing out that you are being inconsistent: you
demand that the view of the DNS be consistent when an NXDOMAIN is cached, but
do not further demand that NXDOMAINs not be cached in order to promote
consistency.   A cached NXDOMAIN will prevent a more current view of the
network from being seen, if the missing domain name comes into existence during
the lifetime of the cached NXDOMAIN.

> note that i'm not requiring that you actually purge, only that you
> effectively purge. i don't know if that changes your appreciation.

Unfortunately it does not.   I haven't heard an argument that makes me
understand why it is important that we make this a normative requirement.

> i cracked a smile at about 2am. thanks for that.

:)