Who wants to get rid of A lookups? "A" is going to be here for a while and
using it as a generic mean to get all addresses of given protocol
(regardless of version) gives servers a way to smoothly transition over
versions.
If the A was updated to have a variable address length, then it could be
used to hand out any address with different RDLEN instead of making new
type. I'm dreading of a day when somebody implements A,AAAA, and AAAAAAAA
lookup in glibc stub in parallel.

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org> wrote:

> Well we really want to get rid of A lookups.   Why don't we just
> recommend that we publish mapped A records in AAAA RRsets and have
> master servers update AAAA RRsets if they are inconsitent with the
> A RRsets.
>
> We also need a way to signal that there are no A records in the
> AAAA RRset.  ::ffff:255.255.255.255 or ::ffff:0.0.0.0 would be
> sensible records to indicate this.

Do we need that? I'd be happy if clients use just A for IP lookups, and
then use
AAAA if only AAAA falls out of cache. Can't think of a good use case.