Stephane,

At 2016-04-15 16:13:44 +0200
Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzme...@nic.fr> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 10:18:11AM -0400,
>  Tim Wicinski <tjw.i...@gmail.com> wrote
>  a message of 35 lines which said:
>
> > This starts a Call for Adoption for Aggressive use of NSEC/NSEC3
> > draft-fujiwara-dnsop-nsec-aggressiveuse
>
> I think it is an useful technique and I think the working group should
> adopt it and work on it. I'm willing to review.
>
> I note there is some relationship with
> draft-ietf-dnsop-nxdomain-cut. It is "NXDOMAIN cut plus synthesis (if
> you have DNSSEC)".
>
> Technically speaking, the weakest point is about NSEC3: most zones
> (except the root) are not signed with NSEC, and negative answers
> synthesis with NSEC3 seems... difficult (at least for my brain).

I think the draft covers NSEC3, although perhaps not in enough detail?

My basic understanding is that NXDOMAIN synthesis is straightforward
in concept if there is no opt-out (although perhaps tricky in
implementation), and impossible if opt-out is used.

Is there something I am missing?

Also, I'm not sure that it is fair to say "most zones are not signed
with NSEC". I guess most *TLD* are signed with NSEC3 either for zone
size reasons or in a (misguided IMHO) attempt to keep the zone contents
secret. But is this true for domains that are not delegation-only? And
even if it is, are those zones opt-out?

Cheers,

--
Shane