Hi folks,

I work at OpenDNS.  We saw a DoS attack in Miami on Friday night around
10-11:00pm PST, consisting of UDP DNS requests for AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD where each
of AAA, BBB, CCC and DDD are three digit numbers not greater than 500.

Each query was answered with an NXDOMAIN by the root servers,   Although our
resolvers cached the NXDOMAIN for 1 hour (we cap negative responses at 1 hour
despite the larger SOA MINIMUM) it was ineffective in reducing the load on the
root servers as every varying query was another root server request.

We eventually blackholed all TLDs from 000 to 500 to stifle the problem
(locally delegating them to 127.0.0.1 where we don’t listen).

However, during the attack, we also saw a huge number of TCP sockets in
TIME_WAIT talking to root servers (probably all root servers).  I’m curious if

1.  Are root servers doing some sort of tar pitting where they send a TC and
then firewall port 53?
2.  Has anyone ever considered a better way than responding with NXDOMAIN?

The second is a loaded question, but it occurs to me that a new type of
negative response to (say) 111.222.333.444/IN/A might be an NXDOMAIN with an
SOA record (as we do now) but also with an indicator that 444 and below are
NXDOMAINs.  I’m not sure what that might look like, maybe "444/IN/NS .” in the
AUTHORITY section where “.” is the NS value meaning that 444 is actually
delegated to nobody.

Thoughts/comments?

—
Brian