On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@vpnc.org> wrote:

> Greetings again; I'm the new co-author on this draft. Based on the WG
> discussion where a bunch of us wanted to use EDNS0 and a bunch of us wanted
> to use queries, the authors tentatively decided that the best way to go
> forwards is to put both methods in the draft. After all, a motivated
> observer of the signals will not have much problem watching both types of
> signals, and end systems can decide which of the two they want to use.
>
> We understand that "specify more than one" is often an unpopular choice in
> the IETF, about as unpopular as "don't get consensus on one". This is a WG
> document so we need consensus even to go with two ways. We look forward to
> hearing from you about this choice and how we can move forwards.
>
> --Paul Hoffman
>

> On 8 Jul 2016, at 15:30, internet-dra...@ietf.org wrote:

>> directories.
>> This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations of the
>> IETF.
>>
>>         Title           : Signaling Trust Anchor Knowledge in DNS
>> Security Extensions (DNSSEC)
>>         Authors         : Duane Wessels
>>                           Warren Kumari
>>                           Paul Hoffman
>>         Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-key-tag-02.txt
>>         Pages           : 13
>>         Date            : 2016-07-08
>>
>> Abstract:
>>    The DNS Security Extensions (DNSSEC) were developed to provide origin
>>    authentication and integrity protection for DNS data by using digital
>>    signatures.  These digital signatures can be verified by building a
>>    chain-of-trust starting from a trust anchor and proceeding down to a
>>    particular node in the DNS.  This document specifies two different
>>    ways for validating resolvers to signal to a server which keys are
>>    referenced in their chain-of-trust.  The data from such signaling
>>    allow zone administrators to monitor the progress of rollovers in a
>>    DNSSEC-signed zone.
>>
>>    This document describes two independent methods for validating
>>    resolvers to publish their referenced keys: an EDNS option and a
>>    differnt DNS query.  The reason there are two methods instead of one
>>    is some people see significant problems with each method.  Having two
>>    methods is clearly worse than having just one, but it is probably
>>    better for the Internet than having no way to gain the information
>>    from the resolvers.

>> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-key-tag/
>>
>> There's also a htmlized version available at:
>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-key-tag-02

>> https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-key-tag-02

Abstract, second paragraph
"differnt" -> "different"

5.1. Query Format
What if the key tag is less than 0x1000 hex or 4096 decimal - Should the
resulting hex have leading zeros (always 4 characters?) or not?
For example, would 4095 decimal be _ta-0fff or _ta-fff  ?  (I prefer always
4 characters hex, but it is your doc.)

5.3.1. Interaction With Aggressive Negative Caching
I would prefer that the tags always be sorted.  No big deal for two tags,
but if there was a compromise or mistake during a rollover, there might be
three keys and the savings in records might be significant.  If you decide
to specify sorting, I think it would go in section 5.1 and not in 5.3.1.

--
Bob Harold