All,

I reviewed this draft and while it is shaping up nicely, I don't think it is quite ready for publication:

1. As John pointed out earlier, the document makes an inconsistent use of RFCC 2119 keywords, and we need to decide whether to use MAY or SHOULD. Looking at the definitions of the keywords again I am leaning towards MAY, but given the described benefits I could see how SHOULD would be appropriate. Either way, it should be consistent. Also, the used keyword for NSEC should not be different than that for NSEC3.

2. In addition to the first point, I don't think it is appropriate to use RFC 2119 keywords to dictate name server configuration. Mentioning it would be useful to have configuration options for enabling and disabling this functionality seems okay, but drop the RFC 2119 formalities.

3. In section 6 on Benefits, it says "currently around 65% of queries to Root Name servers result in NXDOMAIN responses." This is quickly outdated, so I would replace 'currently' with 'at the time of writing'. But more importantly, where does this number come from? A reference here seems appropriate.

4. There are several bikeshedding issues/nits that I have put up a PR for here:

  https://github.com/wkumari/draft-ietf-dnsop-nsec-aggressiveuse/pull/1

5. It seems that sections 5.2 and 5.3 only consider NXDOMAIN responses. Is it perhaps that at the end of section 5.1 NODATA answers are covered? I would suggest a better structure to make more explicit the scope. Currently it reads as if NODATA answers should always be subject to aggressive use of negative cache, while NXDOMAIN answers only if the configuration option enables it.

Given these remarks, I suggest the following structure and text:

  If the negative cache of the validating resolver has sufficient
  information to validate the query, the resolver MAY use NSEC, NSEC3
  and wildcard records aggressively. Otherwise, it MUST fall back to
  send the query to the authoritative DNS servers.

  It is recommended that resolvers that implement Aggressive Use of
  Negative Caching provide a configuration switch to disable the
  feature. Separate configuration switches can be implemented for
  the aggressive use of NSEC, NSEC3 and wildcard records.

  5.2 NSEC

  5.2.1 No Data

  If the query has an NSEC record matching the query name, proving
  the data requested does not exist, the resolver MAY respond with an
  empty NOERROR (No Data) answer.

  5.2.2 Name Error

  If the resolver has an NSEC record covering the source of synthesis
  and an NSEC record covering the query name, it MAY respond with an
  NXDOMAIN answer.

  5.2.3 Wildcard No Data

  If the resolver has an NSEC record matching the source of synthesis
  and an NSEC record covering the query name, it MAY respond with an
  empty NOERROR (No Data) answer.

  5.2.3 Wildcard Answer

  If the resolver has an NSEC record covering the query name, but no
  NSEC record matching the source of synthesis, it MAY respond with an
  wildcard expanded answer from the cache. If the corresponding
  wildcard record is not in the cache, it MUST fall back to send the
  query to the authoritative DNS servers.

  5.2 NSEC3

A similar layout for NSEC3 should be provided, and I am willing to provide that if this layout is accepted.

Best regards,
  Matthijs