From: Curdle [mailto:curdle-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Simon Josefsson
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 5:00 AM
To: Ondřej Surý <ondrej.s...@nic.cz>
Cc: dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>; cur...@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Curdle] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-ietf-curdle-dnskey-eddsa-01.txt

Hello.  I have reviewed this document, and it looks to be in good shape.
Two minor comments:

1) The security considerations should reference draft-irtf-cfrg-eddsa for
security considerations.  Both CFRG-EDDSA and RFC 7748 refer to the expected
security level of Ed25519 as "around 128-bit" which reads somewhat better than
"slightly under" in my mind.  Citing only the security level characteristics
(incorrectly) give the reader an impression that Ed448 is "more secure" than
Ed25519.  More, or less, context is required to give the reader a proper
understanding.

I suggest to reword the entire security considerations as follows.  The third
paragraph below is a direct quote from CFRG-EDDSA.

   Ed25519 and Ed448 offers improved security properties and
   implementation characteristics compared to RSA and ECDSA algorithms,
   and the introduction of these algorithms are thus expected to improve
   security of DNSSEC.

   The security considerations of [CFRG-EDDSA] and [RFC7748] are
   inherited in the usage of Ed25519 and Ed448 in DNSSEC.

   Ed25519 is intended to operate at around the 128-bit security level,
   and Ed448 at around the 224-bit security level.  A sufficiently large
   quantum computer would be able to break both.  Reasonable projections
   of the abilities of classical computers conclude that Ed25519 is
   perfectly safe.  Ed448 is provided for those applications with
   relaxed performance requirements and where there is a desire to hedge
   against analytical attacks on elliptic curves.

   These assessments could, of course, change in the future if new
   attacks that work better than the ones known today are found.

2) Section 9 "Implementation Status" does not seem useful.

Thanks,
/Simon