I echo what Ted said. If its 'not well known' its a property of the
RFC ecology in general, that things we did know, and did document,
wind up buried in the RFC free text search.

>From memory, the specific issue was discussed across at least two
rounds of IETF, as a thing. I seem to recall Mike St Johns and others
iterating around why we weren't going to be able to design the problem
away.

(btw, if you buy boxes you cannot hand install trust objects into,  I
believe you walked into a problem because 5011 is for documented roll.
It doesn't preclude uncommanded roll which can exist eg if the
california earthquake hits, and all the witnesses die on the west
coast so the east coast HSM is toast and nobody can unlock it so we
replace cold with no sign-over and no signalling opportunity)

IETF documented memory is hard to find. That's true. Things people in
WG know are not widely understood, that's also true. But collectively,
we "do" know this.

-G