In message <3e04d8bb-d18f-4d9b-81c3-991bcf76f...@fugue.com>, Ted Lemon writes:

> On Dec 15, 2016, at 4:41 PM, Michael StJohns <m...@nthpermutation.com>
> wrote:
> > The problem with providing an unsecured delegation for .homenet is that
> > items subsidiary to .homenet become spoofable in the wider internet and
> > that's not necessarily a good thing.  It might make life easier for the
> > homenet folks to use the unsecured .homenet local zone, but it might have
> > adverse consequences for the non-homenet folken.
>
> Until every single zone in the DNS is signed, this problem will exist.
> This problem would exist if we used .home.arpa. instead of .homenet.   If
> we want to solve this problem, it’s going to require an extension to the
> DNS that provides a way to mark zones of this sort.   I would be more
> willing to fall on this sword if we actually got more security out of it,
> but I don’t think we do.

What extension?  That there is a break in the chain of trust here?
We have that.  It's called a insecure delegation.  There is NOTHING
new being asked for here.  Insecure delegations into homes exist
for RFC 1918 reverse space.  It just works.

On can do trust on first contact based on ssid or MAC for hardwired
from DHCP/RA.  While I don't like RFC 5011, you can use that to
roll trusted keys learnt this way.  I'd prefer a more CERT like
mechanism where there are date constrained records with rdata of
"<start> <end> <DS contents>" that are published along with the
DNSKEY records.  That way you don't need to be always connected
like you do with RFC 5011.  We you connect back you know whether
the TA you have learnt is expected to be valid (inside the time
window) or may have expired (after the time window) so bootstrapping
may be required again.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: ma...@isc.org