On Dec 21, 2016, at 10:41 AM, Ray Bellis <r...@bellis.me.uk> wrote:
> RPZ is primarily used to protect end-users from visiting sites
> associated with malware, either because the A / AAAA result of a lookup
> resolves to a particular address, or because the NS set used to resolve
> the query shares resolvers with ones used by malevolent actors.
>
> Those malevolent actors are just as capable of using DNSSEC.

Yes, but we don’t care.   The DNS infrastructure will still block queries to
their zones; the difference will be that now the end node can _tell_ that the
infrastructure blocked the queries.

Of course, some things you can do without DNSSEC you can’t do with DNSSEC.
You can’t send the browser to a _different_ web server.   This breaks some
usage models, and would certainly cause my employer some pain.   I think that a
transparent way of signaling that a zone has been blocked and signaling why it
was blocked is worth doing as well.   But independent of that, if RPZ spurs
further deployment of DNSSEC, I would consider that a win.