> On Jan 28, 2017, at 4:22 PM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@vpnc.org> wrote:
>
> On 28 Jan 2017, at 12:28, Ralph Droms wrote:
>
>> I've submitted three issues to the doc repo:
>>
>> Issue #8: https://github.com/DNSOP/draft-ietf-dnsop-terminology-bis/issues/8
>> <https://github.com/DNSOP/draft-ietf-dnsop-terminology-bis/issues/8>
>>
>> Add "context" as a facet in the definition of a naming system.  A naming
>> system needs a context in which to perform resolution of a name.  As an
>> example, "locally served DNS zones" (see Issue #10) use the DNS resolution
>> mechanism through a local context rather than through the global root.
>
> Is that "context" or "possible contexts"? That is, if you consider 1034/1035
> as a naming scheme, it seems like there could be "the global context" (the
> root servers that everyone assumed then) and "a local context" (hosts.txt) or
> even a mixed context ("first try to resolve in hosts.txt but then go to the
> root servers if you get an NXDOMAIN", or even the reverse of that). Some
> naming schemes might have other interesting mixes of context.
>
> But I agree that something like this is a common, and commonly-ignored, facet
> that would be useful to list.

I see your point about "possible contexts".  I was thinking of what's needed
for the evaluation of one specific name.  Another way to describe the facet is
what are the possible contexts.

How about:

* Contexts that can be used for resolving a name and obtaining its associated
data, and the way in which a context is specified for resolution of a name

I'd like to discuss your example a little.  In my opinion, hosts.txt lookup and
DNS are two different naming systems.  They happen to share the same name
syntax but use different resolution methods.  The client name resolution code
gets handed a name from an app, and then uses one or more naming systems - in
sequence, if more than one - to resolve the name.  In your example, the client
code might go to the hosts.txt naming system first and then the DNS naming
system.

But I'm quite naive about the details and it may be common practice to consider
both hosts.txt and DNS server resolution part of the DNS naming system.

- Ralph