On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Robert Edmonds <edmo...@mycre.ws> wrote:
> Warren Kumari wrote:
>> The largest outstanding issue is what to do about DNSSEC -- this is
>> (potentially) a problem for any / all 6761 type names.
>> The root is signed, so if a query leaks into the DNS (as they will),
>> an (unaware) validating resolver will try resolve it, and will expect
>> either a signed answer, or proof of an insecure delegation; without
>> this things will look bogus, and so resolvers will SERVFAIL.
>>
>> Clearly, a signed answer isn't feasible, so that leaves 2 options - 1:
>> simply note that validation will fail, and that SERVFAIL will be
>> returned in many case (to me this seems "correct"), or 2: request that
>> the IANA insert an insecure delegation in the root, pointing to a:
>> AS112 or b: an empty zone on the root or c" something similar.
>
> Hi, Warren:
>
> I'm kind of confused. If a .ALT query leaks into the DNS, and there's
> neither a secure or insecure delegation in the root, isn't the result a
> signed NXDOMAIN, not a SERVFAIL?
>
>     ; <<>> DiG 9.11.0-P1 <<>> +dnssec foo.alt
>     ;; global options: +cmd
>     ;; Got answer:
>     ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 36917
>     ;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 6, ADDITIONAL: 1

Yup, but if a resolver has a (empty) local zone for .alt, and someone
queries it and validates, then I think you get SERVFAIL -- the root
says .alt doesn't exist, but here you have an answer apparently from
inside the zone -- 'tis an empty / NXD answer, but still looks like
shenanigans are happening...

> --
> Robert Edmonds

idea in the first place.