Hi, Ben:

In your draft, the reason for not using TXT is given as:

2.1.3.  Using TXT

   We could encode this information in a TXT record, but that would
   violate the intended purpose of TXT records: to convey information to
   human readers.

I'm not sure if it's true that TXT records are intended only for human
consumption. TXT RRs contain "descriptive text" where "[t]he semantics
of the text depends on the domain where it is found".

If you define "where the domain is found" as, e.g., domains like
_443._tcp._sni.www.example.com, then you get to define the semantics of
what is described by the TXT record at that location. I think DKIM is an
example of a protocol that uses this kind of scheme with TXT records.

--
Robert Edmonds