I can't help finding this discussion funny, as I proposed prior to the -bis docs that we make RSA-SHA256 mandatory, and SHA1 optional; for the simple reason that it was overwhelmingly likely that the root would be signed with the former, making it as close to mandatory to implement as possible without documenting it as such; and the latter as interesting as day-old bread.

Now here we are 13 years later, still having the same discussion, 7 years after the root was signed with (you guessed it) RSA-SHA256. :)

DNS has a long tail indeed.