On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 10:19:27AM -0700,
 Doug Barton <do...@dougbarton.us> wrote
 a message of 63 lines which said:

> he has made the excellent point that the query exists, and has
> well-defined semantics

Well-defined, may be (but I do not think so, RFC 1035 is almost silent
on it), but not well-understood by many developpers.

> I find it astonishing that there is this overwhelming "We must
> preserve backwards compatibility at all costs!" sentiment on so many
> ridiculous topics in the DNS, and yet because people hate the ANY
> query (and particularly one software author's perceived
> misappropriation of it) SO MUCH y'all are willing to throw backwards
> compatibility out the door for something that it's absolutely clear
> will break deployed applications

Using QTYPE=ANY and expecting all the records in the answer does not
work TODAY (and even yesterday, see Evan Hunt and Mark Andrews'
messages). So, we break nothing.