Ralph:

>>> I understand that we have different views.   However, I am asking you
>>> specifically to articulate _your_ view.
>>>
>>> You have said that in your opinion special-use names must not be published
>>> in the root zone, but that was already obvious from what you said
>>> previously.   What I am asking you to do is explain _why_ special-use names
>>> must not be published in the root zone.
>>
>> There are other processes for adding names to the root zone.  In my opinion,
>> using the special-use TLD registry as a means of putting a name, even one
>> that has a different scope and use case, is an end run around that process.
>
> Russ - In my opinion, the special-use domain registry is not being used to
> put the name in the root zone.  The observation is that the special-use
> definition of this TLD requires both an entry in the special-use domain name
> registry, and an entry in the root zone.  There is no process at present for
> adding such an entry to the root zone.  draft-ietf-homenet-dot-03 explicitly
> recognizes the lack of such a process and that a process may need to be
> developed.
>
> Seems to me the important issue is that the entry in the root zone is
> required for correct operation of the locally-served .homenet zone, even if
> no process exists for creating that entry.  The appropriate parties can
> collaborate to develop any needed processes…

I would be fine with collaboration between the IETF and ICANN to come up with a
way to make this happen, but that is not what this document says.

This document registeres the .homenet TLD in the special-use registry and then
tasks IANA "to arrange for an insecure delegation for '.homenet' in the root
zone.  This delegation MUST NOT be signed, …”

This document does not describe a collaborative approach.

Russ