On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 6:54 PM, Ted Lemon <mel...@fugue.com> wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2017, at 9:50 PM, Brian Dickson <brian.peter.dick...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> This would require an update every time the KSK is rolled, or whenever the
> RRSIG needs to be refreshed. 68 years is an inconvenient interval, so maybe
> 50 or 20 years? This is still a lot better than 1 week or 1 month.
>

> Isn't there some inconvenient process involved in using the KSK?   I
> suspect that in practice, this makes it harder, not easier.

Yes, very much so, although I'm answering from second- or third-hand
knowledge.

As I understand it, the whole process of using the KSK is a scripted,
recorded ceremony in a carefully controlled super-restricted environment,
so this would need to be added to that script.

On the plus side, if it only needs to be done on the very rare occasion
(every N years or when the KSK rolls), I think the benefit would outweigh
the initial barrier to change.

But, that is probably for the folks with direct knowledge to comment on.
I'm just putting the suggestion forward.

Brian