Your question is well timed. with DNSSEC keyroll happening, the
question: "what level of 5011 deployement" exists is unanswerable with
authority because the architects did not consider signalling of
capability sufficiently trustable. So we have no direct measure of
capability, and a weak, indirect sense of deployment from other
signals of capabilities which would imply post-5011 capable code, but
cannot say if a locally maintained hand-installed TA is in use.

So the question "is it assumed" is a good one. I think the answer is
"yes, we design for the assumption DNS now is enabled for 5011, or
else is owning its problems"

-G