> On 28 Mar 2017, at 16:05, Evan Hunt <e...@isc.org> wrote:
>
> My problem is with elevating "pointless" to the force of a "MUST NOT".  I
> think it should be reduced in force to "OPTIONAL", "NOT RECOMMENDED", or
> even "SHOULD NOT".  Kill it on the supply side.

A "MUST NOT" should kill it on the supply side. Anything less emphatic than
that will not. An "OPTIONAL" or whatever creates enough uncertainty to give
implementers/operators the idea that it's advisable to persevere with MD5
support "just in case", even if nobody is using MD5. Softer language would give
enough wiggle room to allow MD5 support to lurk around forever in a zombie
state and never get killed.

Give MD5 support two shots to the head. With silver bullets. Then nuke it from
orbit. Just to be absolutely sure.