On the other hand, might there be value in seeing how much errant traffic goes
to the root so it can be reported and used to inform vendors, network
architects, network administrators, et al?

Given the amount of bogus traffic already goes to the root, I’m not immediately
worried this will increase the traffic level to a point of concern.

And I remain puzzled as to why a simple NXDOMAIN response from the root isn’t
exactly the right thing and why it matters whether it’s signed or not.

Steve