On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 02:28:37PM +0200,
 Shumon Huque <shu...@gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 153 lines which said:

> > Suppose I send the list ECDSA;RSA, and I receive only ECDSA
> > signatures. How the resolver/cache would now if it was a complete
> > list?
>
> The response contains the EDNS0 option if the responder executed
> this protocol. In which case, the cache would tag this response as a
> subset.

Sorry, I still do not understand. The EDNS0 option does not indicate
if the set is a subset or not. Or do you assume that, if the response
indicates that the responder executes this protocol, an answer is
always a subset (even if it's not)?

> When the resolver queries the DNSKEY RRset for the zone, it knows
> which algorithms are supported for the zone.

You can have keys which are not used for signing (such as in the root
today).