On Aug 2, 2017, at 9:02 AM, Richard Barnes <r...@ipv.sx> wrote:
> But of course having IP addresses in URLs is both a PITA for developers and
> an anti-pattern more generally.

While true, I would argue that this is actually a problem.   E.g., I actually
literally cannot surf to a link-local URL without having a DNS record for it,
because http://[
<http://%5Bfe80::1806:ec37:3d5f:9580%25en0%5D/>fe80::1806:ec37:3d5f:9580%en0]/
<http://%5Bfe80::1806:ec37:3d5f:9580%25en0%5D/> has an interface identifier in
it, and modern browsers consider this an anti-pattern, I guess.   And you don't
want to put link-local addresses in DNS, even if it made sense to do so, so
what is one to do?   I'm not convinced that this anti-pattern is the wrong
anti-pattern, but here we have two examples of it being problematic, in the
least.

> If "localhost" were properly defined to be loopback, then applications could
> just hard-wire resolution, and not depend on the good graces of the platform
> resolver.  As, for example, Firefox does with ".onion" today:

Right.   But there was actually a long discussion on why that's problematic
when we were doing the .onion RFC.   The reason is that one can't count on any
particular piece of application software correctly interpreting the rightmost
label.   We can write RFCs encouraging it, but if I am writing a URL into a
piece of HTML, I have no idea whether the thing that interprets the HTML will
or will not do the right thing.

We just accept that as a risk with .onion because we don't have a better
option, but for localhost we definitely do have a better option.   That's all
I'm saying.