Moin!

On 16 Aug 2017, at 6:19, Lanlan Pan wrote:

We analyzed our recursive query log, about 18.6 billion queries from
12/01/2015 to 12/07/2015.

We found about 4.7 Million temporary domains occupy the recursive's cache,
which are subdomain wildcards from Skype, QQ, Mcafee, Microsoft,
360safedns, Cloudfront, Greencompute...

Temporary Domain Names/ All Names: 41.7%
Queries for Temporary Domain Names/ All Queries: 0.12%
So you are designing a protocol change for 0.12% of your queries? IMHO not a
good use of engineering time.

Details in: Dealing with temporary domain name issues in the DNS
<https://www.computer.org/csdl/proceedings/iscc/2016/0679/00/07543831-abs.html>

<https://www.computer.org/csdl/proceedings/iscc/2016/0679/00/07543831-abs.html>
The operational problem is, subdomain wildcards waste recursive cache
capacity. Existing solution to the problem is not adequate in recursive
operating environment at present, because of low DNSSEC deployment.
Sorry can't read that, but from the abstract and your emails I think the main flaw in your thinking is that you want to cache all the records, regardless of how often they are queried. That is not how caching resolvers work. Records that are not used frequently and most of these signalling queries are one time queries
just expire from the cache, either by LRU mechanism or TTL.

So long
-Ralf