In message <alpine.OSX.2.21.1708172112530.64140@ary.local>, "John R Levine"
writes:

> >> Of course, but that's independent of how you present the updates to the
> >> registry or registrar.
> >
> > Yet, you chose to attempt to shoot down the proposal based on the
> > premise that you would be giving up full control.
>
> You appear to be responding to someone else.  My point is that in
> practice, registries do not provide credentials for DNSSEC updates only,
> regardless of how they're presented.

And the proposal was for registrars to process them except in the
case where the registry and registrar are the same entity.  The
only thing the registry needs to run is a forwarding agent which
looks at the name of the zone to be updated (sanity checking and
possible database selection for the next step) and the name of the
first record to be updated in the update section to find which
registrar to forward the update to.  This is similar to how nsupdate
works out which zone to update without being told explicitly.

All validation (TSIG/SIG(0)), beyond is the UPDATE in scope, is
done by the registrar which doesn't require the registry to handle
any credentials.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: ma...@isc.org