On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 10:35 AM, Ted Lemon <mel...@fugue.com> wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2017, at 10:33 AM, tjw ietf <tjw.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks.  The document still waffles, but it 'waffles less' than it did
> initially.  But Mike is committed to working that and any other issue which
> may arise.
>

> The question I really have is not whether Mike is willing—he's stated that
> he is.   It's whether the working group is willing, since returning NXDOMAIN
> is an actual change in behavior from the original specification in RFC 6761,
> and will likely result in some breakage, since it can safely be assumed that
> some stacks are currently following the RFC6761 advice.

Actually, I suspect that the breakage will be fairly minimal -- Google
Public DNS appears to have been returning NXDOMAIN since launch:
dig +nocmd +nostats localhost @8.8.8.8
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;localhost. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
. 14208 IN SOA a.root-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 2017090502
1800 900 604800 86400

and Verisign returns NOERROR (probably also since launch):
dig +nocmd +nostats localhost @64.6.64.6
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;localhost. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
localhost. 10800 IN A 127.0.0.1

This doesn't seem to have caused any breakage - or, at least, we
haven't heard of any, and apparently basically no-one had noticed a
difference :-)

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf