On Sep 7, 2017, at 10:32 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzme...@nic.fr> wrote:

> draft-wkumari-dnsop-internal-00 proposes to reserve .internal for
> RFC1918-like domain names. There is clearly a strong demand for that.
> (There is also a strong demand for happy sex, great food, excellent
> wines and diamong rings, but let's ignore it for the moment).
>
> The document clearly documents that it will not happen, since it
> requires an entire new process at ICANN.

As WG chair: no reason I know of to assume this.

As long-time observer of IETF and ICANN process: no reason I know of to assume
this; such a request from the IETF, however, would involve the IESG (presumably
armed with IETF consensus), the IAB (which manages the IETF liaison
relationship with ICANN on behalf of the IETF), and some patience, since it
amounts to a request that the ICANN community do work to accommodate a need of
the IETF. This doesn't mean it can't be done or even that it won't be done,
only that the implications need to be considered as far as possible.

At the very least, I'd like to see an extremely strong rationale for making
such a request; we should be working towards a statement something like "doing
this solves the following large class of problems for a really long time, in a
demonstrably better way than any of the alternatives."

> Also, it may be a good idea to add an "Internationalization
> considerations" section. If people want a memorable domain name (and
> not, say, the TLD .693268ed5948276cb48c3f3339ac465d, which would work
> as well), it's because it is typable and rememberable), they may want
> it in other languages.

Agreed. This mechanism is intended, at least in part, to accommodate the common
desire people seem to have for DNS names to act sort of like natural language
objects and not just random strings. It seems to me that defining such a
mechanism should consider the likelihood that not everyone who wants to use it
will be native speakers of English who are happy to limit the available
characters to US-ASCII.

Suzanne