In message <alpine.osx.2.21.1709121536140.1...@ary.qy>, "John R Levine" writes:

> >> I agree but this is a tangent.  The draft is about localhost. or maybe <so
> mething>.localhost.  It's not about localhost.<something>.
> >
> > The problem with this clarification is that in practice "localhost." is alm
> ost always spelt "localhost".
>
> Well, OK, but I hope we can limit the advice to tne meaning of localhost
> as a TLD-ish name, and not rehash the well known problems with search
> lists.

Unfortunately they are all related.  "localhost" as a single label
gets the search list applied, then is tried as is.  "_foo._tcp.localhost"
as a multi-label string gets tried as is then the search list is
applied.  localhost is the one pre-hierachical hostname that we still
use.  Other single label hostnames are intended to be short cuts to
a heirachical hostnames.

> Regards,
> John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY
> Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly