Joe Abley <jab...@hopcount.ca> wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2017, at 12:44, Tony Finch <d...@dotat.at> wrote:
>
> > It's quite difficult to have multiple masters and DNSSEC and coherent
> > copies of the zone from all masters - i.e. more effort than just spinning
> > up parallel instances of BIND or Knot in automatic signing mode.
>
> Note that I wasn't talking about multiple signers; I was talking about
> (from the perspective of one particular slave) having multiple masters
> available to serve precisely the same zone.

A primary master is wrt a zone not a server - a zone's primary master is
a server that's authoritative for a zone and which does not get the zone
contents via axfr/ixfr, but instead from a master file and/or UPDATE (or
a non-standard mechanism such as directly from a database).

The term says nothing about the downstream xfer topology. You can very
well having a primary master (plus backup(s)) feeding a cluster of
distribution servers which in turn feed the public authoritative servers.
The xfer topology doesn't have to be a tree, it doesn't even have to be an
acyclic graph.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/  -  I xn--zr8h punycode
German Bight, Humber: West becoming cyclonic 5 to 7, increasing gale 8 or