On 19-03-18 20:08, Matthew Pounsett wrote:

On 19 March 2018 at 08:21, Matthijs Mekking <matth...@pletterpet.nl <mailto:matth...@pletterpet.nl>> wrote:

    I and some others have been using the term 'Negative response' to
    indicate that the response does not contain any records in the
    Answer section. Current definition seems to imply that this is only
    the case if the RCODE is NXDOMAIN, NOERROR, SERVFAIL or if there was
    a timeout (unreachable). The definition I have been using includes

    I wonder if this is just me and my bubble or if others also a
    slightly different meaning of 'Negative response' as it is defined
    now. If there are others, is it worth spending a line or two about
    this here?

I would suggest that only NXDOMAIN and NOERROR+ANCOUNT=0 are negative responses.   SERVFAIL, FORMERR, and REFUSED are error responses; you do not know as a result of those responses whether the name/type tuple queried about exists.

Fair enough, just note that RFC 2308 defines SERVFAIL as (Other) Negative Response.

Best regards,
  Matthijs