2. SRV and URI
  We need to change the description of the second level name registry to say
  that SRV and URI are special, they use names from Ports and Services at
  the second level and URI uses enumservice subtypes, and take out all of
  the SRV entries.  What's left is the grabbag of second level names used
  for other stuff like NAPTR and _adsp._domainkey.

 No.  "Special" invites "errors", for on-going administration and operations.
 I'm trying to make things simpler and less tangled.

 We need to move away from the complexity created by having special rules for
 some entries in the registry.

That would be fine except that the Port and Service registry has thousands of entries, and the named ones (nearly all of them) are valid SRV names. Importing a handful of names that we guess are commonly used with SRV is the worst of both worlds.

Either point at the real registry for SRV, or say that this explicitly redefines the namespace for SRV and see if dnsop will go for that. I don't see any way you can just ignore RFC 6335 and its predecessors.

 ps.  I thought the URI RR had no current actual use (or at least very
 little.)

I belive that's correct, but again, either we deprecate URI or we deal with its naming rules.

To get rid of special, add another column to the first table which identifies the second level namespace. In some cases it's empty, in some cases it's Ports and Services, in a few it's Enumservice, and in the rest it's the second table.

R's,
John