Hi Job,

While I do agree with you that having implementations early on is a very
desirable requirement, though I would disagree with making it a hard
requirement (see the case of aggressive negative caching and how it unfolded as
an example), for any new idea brought to the IETF I would like to point out a
couple of things here:

- there is an established way for drafts to progress to RFCs and within the RFC
levels. The progression from proposed to full Standard absolutely requires
implementations (plural)
- the issue is not specific to any give wg, it is an IETF-wide issue and so the
right place for discussion of improving this aspect of standards development is
the IETF list rather any specific wg list
- in the specific case in the subject, there is funding available to support
final implementation of this idea on three code bases. This won’t be released
until we are past a successful last-call (because that’s how it works) and so
stalling this specific draft on behalf of a way more general idea and
discussion is actually having the opposite effect of what the discussion’s
goals are. It is delaying final implementation.

Just my 2 cents

Joao