I run bind on my authoritative nameservers. I run linux on a number of
laptops. When these laptops are provided a DHCP address, they use SIG(0)
to authenticate a forwards zone update to update their current (DHCP
provided) IPv4 address into the Zone. I've been doing this for years -
ever since Johan Ihrén taught me how to do so on his DNS training
courses. A number of other people may also be doing this for the same
reason. This is totally automatic - just once in a while, I update the
SIG(0) "password".

If there is another newer way that does the same - I'd be willing to
look at it - otherwise I enjoy this current methodology.

On 19/06/2018 23:41, Wellington, Brian wrote:
> SIG(0) was implemented in BIND 9 back when BIND 9 was basically the only
> modern implementation, and no one used it then.  The fact that no servers
> have implemented it since then means that there really isn’t any demand.
>
> Brian
>
>> On Jun 19, 2018, at 2:20 PM, Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org> wrote:
>>
>> SIG(0) is much superior for machines updating their own data  to TSIG as you
>> don’t need a secondary storage for the TSIG key.   You can replace a master
>> server without having to worry about transferring TSIG secrets off a dead
>> machine. You just copy the zone from a slave and go.
>>
>> There are other scenarios where it is also superior like automaton
>> delegating  In the reverse tree.
>>
>> No I don’t think it should go.
>>
>> It should be widely implemented so it can be used. There is a lot of self
>> fulfilling prophecy in the DNS of people will never is this so we won’t
>> implement it.
>>
>> --
>> Mark Andrews
>>
>>> On 20 Jun 2018, at 06:48, Ondřej Surý <ond...@isc.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> as far as I could find on the Internet there are only SIG(0) implementation
>>> in handful DNS implementations - BIND, PHP Net_DNS2 PHP library,
>>> Net::DNS(::Sec) Perl library, trust_dns written in Rust and perhaps others
>>> I haven’t found; no mentions of real deployment was found over the Internet
>>> (but you can blame Google for that)...
>>>
>>> Do people think the SIG(0) is something that we should keep in DNS and it
>>> will be used in the future or it is a good candidate for throwing off the
>>> boat?
>>>
>>> Ondrej
>>> --
>>> Ondřej Surý
>>> ond...@isc.org

Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
m...@posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496