On 7/10/18 12:55 PM, Joe Abley wrote:
On Jul 10, 2018, at 18:02, Adam Roach <a...@nostrum.com> wrote:

In large part because DNS provides "a richer scheme that accommodates address
families and multiple addresses with priorities".
*cups hand to ear*

Was that the sound of a distant desire to specify use of SRV for HTTP?

Speaking personally (that is: this position may be at odds with any number of organizations I'm affiliated with), I've been sad for a very long time that SRV didn't take off as the entry point for doing all name/service resolution. Maintaining a service-to-port map in 2018 seems as quaint as if we were still having to manually set and de-conflict IRQ values on PC peripherals. This is way off-topic, though -- if you want to continue, find another venue and let me know (or we can find a time to commiserate over beers in Montreal if you prefer).

/a