On 25 Jul 2018, at 12:30, Warren Kumari <war...@kumari.net> wrote:

> One of the original promises of DNSSEC is that I'd be able to find a
> zonefile written on a napkin on a bar floor, and trust it -- currently
> I cannot do this.

I don't think this is correct.

The main thrust of DNSSEC (as finally standardised) was to protect caches from
poisoning -- in other words, to protect responses with cryptography.

Zone files contain things that are not responses, but are used to obtain
ever a design goal to sign those, and hence it wasn't a design goal to sign
zones in the way that you describe.

Joe