> On 27 Jul 2018, at 10:37 am, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@vpnc.org> wrote:
>
> On 26 Jul 2018, at 10:25, Ondřej Surý wrote:
>
>>> If the ZONEMD record is signed, the only person who can mount a collision
>>> attack is the zone owner themselves. If the ZONEMD record is unsigned, an
>>> attacker can just remove it.
>>
>> I believe, that’s not true.  The ZONEMD can stay intact while the attacker
>> would modify the unsigned parts of the zone to create a same checksum, but
>> different contents?  He might be targeting just this particular zone and
>> it’s delegation, so everything else is throw-away junk that can be modified.
>>
>>> What is the attack you are envisioning?
>
> You didn't answer the last question. It sounds like you want it as a
> signature over the entire zone. If so, then I fully agree that using hash
> algorithms that have known collision attacks is a very bad idea. But I also
> think that using ZONEMD as a strong signature is a bad idea: that's what
> signing algorithms are for.

ZONEMD and XHASH can both be modelled as a cryptographic hash (NSEC3) or
cryptographic hash + signature (RRSIG).  The later will take less space in the
zone but more work to update when the signature expires.  Either model will
prevent record changes.

> --Paul Hoffman

Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: ma...@isc.org