i think a good modern stub should have several settings that are missing in today's stable of internet endpoints.

"these are my preferred servers, even when dhcp tells me otherwise"

"if there's a tcp/853 trust path available, and it works, prefer it"

"if my preferred servers can't be reached i do/don't want to follow dhcp"

"if dhcp doesn't give me working servers, try these global ones instead"

the lack of these knobs today should not inform our debate as to whether to add dhcp elements to support tcp/853. rather, they are a separate problem -- just as dhcp authentication is a separate problem.