> On Aug 24, 2018, at 9:54 AM, Ted Lemon <mel...@fugue.com> wrote:
>
> On Aug 24, 2018, at 9:52 AM, Tom Pusateri <pusat...@bangj.com
> <mailto:pusat...@bangj.com>> wrote:
>> Yes, it was intended to be more general than for service registration. It’s
>> directly applicable to name registration for IP addresses. I can add a
>> section on other uses if more motivation is desired. Mark Andrews had some
>> uses as well that hopefully, he can share. If others have uses in mind that
>> this solves I would love to hear about them.
>
> The reason I'm asking is not that I don't think there are theoretical use
> cases for what you are proposing.   I'm asking if there are actual use cases.
>   How would this be used in practice?   What can't someone do right now that
> they need to do and that this new technology enables?

Specifically, there are two applications mentioned in the draft.

1. When a DNS server receives a dynamic DNS Update from a client registering
its name after having received an IP address from an DHCP lease, the length of
the DHCP lease can be tied to the length that the DNS address/PTR records stay
in the authoritative server.

2. When an RFC 6763 DNS-SD service is registered (including PTR, SRV, & TXT
records), these records can timeout according to the lease lifetime contained
in the update lease EDNS(0) option.

These are not theoretical. They solve practical problems that exist today. I
think there are others associated with existing problems for sleeping devices
and IoT devices that I need to research to more clearly answer your specific
question but I think these two already fulfill that requirement.

Tom